uhuC was originally a forum where everyone should help everyone with their problems. In the first years projects were developed there, like a repository for Arch Linux, which contained nightly builds for selected AUR packages. Then I got the idea of a Minecraft Server and over the years the forum mutated more and more to a Minecraft Forum. Accordingly the level dropped in the 10th year, when the forum was denounced by selfish, harassing and power-hungry users.
After a one-year hiatus, it was decided to reopen the forum in its original form. But with some changes:
- More options for registration/login. E.g. via Twitter, Discord, GitHub and Google
- No-Password Login by default. I.e. a login link is sent to the e-mail address
- Fallback to password login possible. There is a link at the bottom of the login screen
- Higher transparency
- The source code of the page is available on code.bka.li
- Registration on this Gitea is fully open an can be used by everyone for hosting their code!
- Higher communication in case of failures through a status page at status.bka.li
- The status page is located on a $3 USD VPS in Canada and was rented only for this purpose
- Multiple chat options
There will no other official chat options! When you see one, which is not listed here, stay away!
- via XMPP at email@example.com
- via RocketChat at #uhuc channel on https://chat.bka.li
- via IRC is still in progress
- All chats are connected via a bridge. So all you have to do is choose only one system
- Increased security against attacks on the server. E.g. via additional headers, which can be verified via Report URI Security Headers
- Increased, server-side security measures linked to Apache and Fail2Ban through modsecurity
- Stricter SSL settings, available at Qualys SSL Labs to ensure that the transport route is sufficiently encrypted
- Spam protection with Akismet
- Main language is now English. But there is a German subtag, if you don't feel like speaking English at the moment
- External support via mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or support.bka.li
But since uhuC did not want to stop somewhere between 2005 and 2010, fundamental changes were adopted:
- No forum in the original sense:
- It works with tags instead of threads.
- At least one, maximum 2, main tag is required and maximum 3 sub-tags
- Hashtag system like Twitter
- Postings are now made with markdown
- Startpage shows all contributions
- Filter via tags
- You can follow tags and users
- Mute/Ignore users
- Flag a post as "spam"
- Mention support incl. autocompletion
- Patrons, Veterans, Mods and Admins can set a status
- Patrons, Veterans, Mods and Admins can save drafts
- Select best answer
- Like a post
- Profile banner image
- Syndication via RSS feed
What do we not support anymore:
- Forum statistics of posts, threads and more
- View-count of a discussion is only visible for moderators and administrators
- Ranking system
We have decided to do this because we do not want to turn help into competition.
Progressive Web App
uhuC is also configured as a "Progressive Web App". That means, that you can add it to your launcher on your smartphone or tablet. On Firefox you can touch onto the small house with the + symbol icon and you get asked for adding to homescreen. When you did it, you get can launch uhuC with a simple touch. In addition you get notified on your phone too.
Last but not least, I have been asked again and again over the years whether I could be supported by donations. In the meantime, I have also made provisions for this and set up a page at Open Collective. Patrons also get an own group at the forum with additional functions:
- Bypass rules defined in the bad word filter
- Set an own status
- Save drafts
- Schedule drafts
- View discussion viewcount
The uhuC Sponsors